Civil Unit Overview: The primary function of personnel assigned to the Civil Unit is processing and serving documents initiated by the Court including subpoenas and writs in La Paz County. The secondary function is collection of overdue La Paz County property taxes for the La Paz County Treasurer’s Office. Examples of documents served include Orders of Protection, Injunctions Against Harassment, Writs of Execution, divorce documents, custodial papers and others.
The La Paz County Sheriff’s Office charges clients for process service with fees set by statute (ARS 11-445) with the following exceptions.
- A. Orders of Protection.
- B. Court Subpoenas.
- C. Child Support Orders from AZ DES.
- D. Liquor License Posting for the La Paz County Board of Supervisors.
Typical process service fees include:
- A. Process Service (Minimum $16.00 per person served).
1. The mileage fee for court documents from La Paz County Justice and Municipal Courts is calculated by multiplying $2.40 one way per mile from the court that issued the document times the distance to the address served with a $16.00 minimum.
2. The mileage fee for court documents from La Paz County Superior Court and Courts located outside La Paz County is calculated by multiplying $2.40 one way per mile from the La Paz County Superior Court times the distance to the address served with a $16.00 minimum.
3. Mileage fees are charged for each service attempt.
C. Notary and Prep ($8.00 per person served).
D. The execution of a levy and return of various court documents varies from $12.00 up to $48.00 plus $40.00 per hour per Deputy, if in excess of three hours for a Writ of Possession or Execution.
E. Eviction Action Summons/Forcible Detainers are advised to schedule at least three days in advance.
We require a deposit prior to process service of court documents as follows:
- A. Injunction Against Harassment – No deposit. Fees will be billed after service.
B. Forcible Detainer/Eviction Summons and Complaint – $40.00.
C. Small Claims Summons and Complaint/Civil Summons and Complaint – $40.00.
D. Petition for Dissolution of Marriage – $40.00.
E. Child Support Order/Child Custody Order/Petition to Establish Paternity – $40.00.
F. Writ of Restitution (Eviction) – $100.00.
G. Writ of Garnishment – $60.00.
H. Writ of Replevin (Vehicle Repossession) – $200.00.
I. Writ of Execution (General and Special) – $200.00. Seizable assets must be identified by the entity requesting Process Service.
J. Writ of Attachment – $200.00
K. Writ of Possession – $100.00.
L. Writ of Assistance – $100.00.
M. Writ of Habeas Corpus – $40.00.
N. Civil Body Attachment – $40.00.
O. Supplemental Proceedings (Debtor’s Exam) – $40.00.
P. Most Other Documents – $40.00.
Process service requirements:
- A. Submit the documents to be served, plus one photocopy for each person served, complete Plaintiff/Petitioner Information and the appropriate deposit to: La Paz County Sheriff’s Office, Attn: Civil Unit, 1109 Arizona Ave., Parker, AZ 85344.
B. We do not serve Tribal Members or any Native Americans while on the Colorado River Indian Reservation due to sovereignty or any person while at the Bluewater Casino.
C. Documents received after 3:00 PM may not go out for service until the following day.
Please contact the Civil Unit at (928) 669-6141 Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM to determine the actual cost of your request.
Civil Deputy T. Knowles